Sunday 18 May 2014

The wrong sort of communication

Don't use jargon. Say what you mean. Keep it as short as it needs to be. These are three of the principles I use when crafting a piece of communication. Doesn't matter if it's a speech, a video script, a poster, the principles are the same.

The fourth one is - Put yourself in the shoes of the audience. And by that I mean read/listen/watch through their eyes and ears. It makes a real difference.

So when I see an independent shop that sells stuff (kitchen units), primarily to families, with a notice on the door that says: No ice cream, no dogs, no pushchairs and children must be kept under control, I ask myself whether the person that is running the shop has looked at their front door through the eyes of their potential customers. There's not even a 'Welcome' message, just a list of things not to do.

To me this sounds like somebody who doesn't like people but likes taking their money. I would advise they either find another way of communicating these messages or think about a different career.

No comments:

Post a Comment