Wednesday 11 June 2014

The Botanist

I've had a long day. Meetings, phone calls, research, writing and reading. Now I'm sitting down with a glass of The Botanist and tonic.


The Botanist is a gin produced at the Bruichladdich distillery on Islay. Bruichladdich is more well known for its very fine single malt whiskies than its gin, which is why some gin snobs dismiss The Botanist because 'it can't possibly be any good if it's made at a whisky distillery.' Pish.


I heard of this type of snobbery earlier today when when a self proclaimed naturalist made derogatory comments about a young woman who wanted to know more about a wildlife garden. Apparently 'She didn't know what she was talking about.' Precisely why she wanted to learn I expect.


Yesterday I heard a lovely interview on the radio with a friend of the late Dr Lorna King who did so much to advance the understanding of autism. One comment resonated with me more than others: Dr King couldn't stand professionals who were arrogant, used jargon and lacked empathy. 


We're not all experts but it doesn't mean we can't learn, do a good job and have a valid opinion.



No comments:

Post a Comment