Monday 3 November 2014

A sense of perspective

Scotland loses out....Japan's whisky best in the world, wake up call for Scotland....and other such headlines.

This is the story that Jim Murray, a very respected whisky writer, has voted a Japanese whisky with a higher score than whiskies from Scotland.

The press seems to have taken this to mean that the Scottish whisky industry is in decline and about to implode.

I like Jim Murray and I have his Whisky Bible App on my phone but I don't always agree with his descriptions or his 'scores' and I don't suppose he would expect me to either. He's one person with an experience of tasting whisky and he writes and sells books that are a guide to whisky drinkers.

Despite the fact this his guide is called the Bible I don't consider it to be the sole version of the truth and I don't consider myself to be a disciple of the author.

Today's headlines are based on the opinion of one person. Before we write off an entire 200 year old industry in Scotland let's all have a taste and see what we think. I'm happy to volunteer.


No comments:

Post a Comment