Friday 22 May 2015

An offer or a sales pitch?

I'm in Scotland and earlier this year a compulsory carrier bag charge was introduced for retailers to pass I to their customers as a way of reducing the amount of waste, primarily plastic, bags.

Knowing this I brought my own into the city when I went whisky shopping but I couldn't help noticing that the language at the till hasn't changed "Would you like a carrier bag?" I heard one assistant say and then promptly added 6p to the total bill, which the customer mumbled about on her way out of the shop.

"Would you like a carrier bag?" Sounds like an offer not a sales pitch and now that bags cost money, that's what it is. "Do you need a bag or would you like to buy one?" Would be a more accurate and sincere question to ask and it might be a quicker way way of changing culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment